Forget all of your current pre-conceptions about Salads, this book will change all of that! It includes a huge variety of different recipes, for all seasons. Hot Salads, Cold Salads, get arty and creative and try something new.
Here is one we have chosen to wet your appetite…..
Crumbed Camembert, Apple, Mango, Salad Leaves and Radish…
What could be better than deep-fried crumbed cheese? Yum yum! Whether you use goats’ cheese, ricotta mixed with herbs and dried chilli and rolled into balls, mixed cheese scraps squashed together or, as here, Camembert, deep-frying it in this way is like having grilled (broiled) cheese on toast! Culinary purists may feel that combining a classic French cheese with mango is too odd but my Italian burrata with mango dressing (see page 138) will prove that mango is a great accompaniment to cheese. This works much better as a starter than a main as the cheese is very rich.
- oil for frying
- 1 ripe camembert (about 250g/9oz.), chilled, so it is firm enough to coat
- 50g (1 ¾ oz./scant ½ cup) (all-purpose) flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g (3½ oz./1 3 cups) breadcrumbs
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 2 crisp eating apples, quartered and cored, then julienned
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp finely grated lime zest
- 1 handful salad leaves (I used baby kale)
1.Heat 5cm (2in.) of oil in a medium pan to 180°C (350°F).
2. Cut the camembert into quarters. Toss in seasoned flour, coat with the beaten egg, then carefully coat with the breadcrumbs, making sure that the cheese is entirely coated. Return it to the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
3. Mix the mango, apples, radishes, honey, lime juice and lime zest together in a large bowl. As you toss it the honey will melt into the dressing. Add salt to taste.
4. As soon as you’re ready, deep-fry the cheese wedges until golden on all sides and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. If the cheese begins to ooze out of the coating into the hot oil then carefully remove it, but not until it’s golden.
5. To serve, place the salad leaves on four plates and spoon the mango salad on top. Place the deep-fried Camembert wedges on top, cut in half to allow the hot cheese to ooze over the salad. Eat while hot.
You can buy Savour by Peter Gordon on Hive here and collect from your local independent bookshop, or have delivery to your home with free standard UK delivery – whilst still supporting your local bookshop.
To see more about us and how your purchases on Hive benefit local independent bookshops, please click here.